Monday, October 22, 2012

Week Seven: Are you a Learner or a Student?

We have already passed the half-way mark of the semester.  As such, if you were an undergrad, we would probably be talking about mid-term exams or papers. . .two things that have caused more night-sweats, loud shrieks, and sleepless nights than the totality of all the horror in the Hollywood All Hallows' Eve cinematic masterpieces. . .But of course, you learned a lot in the process.  And the letter grade you earned accurately represented your learning, right?

This is the second time I have been fortunate enough to teach this course.  EDUC 578: Learning and Technology. I'm not sure any of you knew what you were in for when you signed up. As I reflect on the title of this post, I wonder if it is too late for MA level students to truly become learners in school.  Most of you have so much experience being a student and so little being a learner (at least in your formal educational experiences), that when I ask you to stop being a student and focus on being a learner, the discomfort is palpable. . .What do you mean? Can't we just get back to our regularly scheduled program. . .Wapner is on at 3:00. I'm an excellent driver. . .What's going to be on the test?  How many pages does the paper have to be?  What font?  How many required references and how should I cite them?
Let me ask you some real questions: Is this a systemic problem?  Is it a problem at all? What is the difference between a learner and a student? Is school always simply going to be a means to an end? What do you propose we do?

So how should I presume?

You are at a point where you should be directing your own learning.  You should be reading, writing, sharing, commenting, archiving/curating, and, most of all, learning.  We discussed this in class last week. You have all of the tools that you need. So, why so little novel work from the group?  I would propose to you that it is because you are so used to being a student, used to having someone else responsible for your learning, used to specific assignments with pre-conceived outcomes, that the freedom to just "learn" is overwhelming. There is also the novelty of taking a class with different expectations and so much flexibility. With that said, there is still time for you to begin to document your learning journey, but if you haven't begun, you are definitely quite behind. I'm a patient man, but this is a graduate-level course.

Monday. . .

You were to have finished Pink before class.  In class, we will discuss the six senses and the project that you will be undertaking regarding the book.  If you haven't already, I would like you to look over the PLN Guidelines that are posted on the class blog. I don't like to think of this as a rubric because then it makes the process (learning) inauthentic, as you wait for the extrinsic reward that comes with completing a task or finishing a checklist (free puppies for anyone who learns). . .but this is a class and checklists and expectations are a part of the scaffolds necessary to get you to do the type of learning I hope you do. . .I have not lost the inherent contradiction in that a "personal" learning network should be just that, "personal," and to force someone to do this tends to give me the type of results I see in the first few weeks of the process . . .However, I still believe that with enough support and encouragement, you can all begin to forget the process and just "learn out loud!"

Think of these two quotes to help guide you in your quest to cultivate your PLN:
"When you learn transparently, you become a teacher."
"You are what you share." 
Some nuts & bolts for the cause . . .

  • Have you started your 20% Project?  I really need you to document your journey and don't forget that you will be sharing the project results on your blog and with your peers. . .The end of the semester will be here before you know it.
  • Have you participated in an educational chat?  If so, did you write a reflection on your blog and share it on Twitter?
  • Are you archiving/curating resources and information around your passion?  What tool are you using?  Are you sharing your findings?
  • Are you following interesting links on TweetDeck?  If so, are you reflecting about them on your blog?
  • Are you commenting on the class blog entries that ask you questions?

I must say that Lindsay did have an amazing find for me this week: Seth Godin's talk at the Brooklyn Free School from his self-described manifest Stop Stealing Dreams. . .if you haven't watched it, you really should take the time.




Do I dare
Disturb the Universe?

Question:  What should every teacher know about you?

11 comments:

  1. Every teacher should know that:
    -Sometimes I get too perfectionistic about my 'creation' and it can turn into a road block.
    -As much as I want freedom, I like having a vague guideline or suggestions to follow to help spur my thoughts & get the creative juices flowing.
    -I work best when I am able to bounce ideas, answers, etc off of a group of my peers.
    -I am easily distracted which often puts me in time crunch situations that I don't want to be in.
    -I love to laugh and help others--anything involving either of these hooks me quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading yours (Maureen) I may have answered incorrectly. I was answering as if I had a teaching position, what my peers should know. If I was answering as you did, I would say that teachers must know that I need hands on and/or visual aids. I enjoy examples from other walks of life that correspond to the topic, even if they are not directly related to the topic.

      Delete
  2. Some Things every teacher should know about me:
    - I am a collaborative learner and love working with others,providing advice,feedback and getting helpful criticisms
    - I am fully dedicated to my students
    - I am a lifelong learner
    - I use personal narratives to help teach and relate with my students,educators and peers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the personal narratives to help relate and teach. I believe it is great to bond with your class and have them bond with each other. Once students realize that you are a real person, they're guard can begin to drop, because trust and authentic care begins to form.

      Delete
  3. What every teacher should know about me:

    -I am always down to collaborate
    -I am dedicated to helping the students
    -I am willing to teach collectively (similar topics resonate throughout core classes)
    -I may be untraditional, but please give me a chance to get results.
    -I am always open to honest criticism
    -I will not teach to a test if it ultimately damages the students knowledge of the topic in the long run, period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depending on who the teacher is, I want them to know different things about me. If they are responsible for teaching me, I'd like them to know that I don't like schedules. I enjoy learning hands on, rather than in a regular classroom. I'd also like them to know that while it takes time for me to learn something new, I usually carry it with me for a lifetime and rarely forget it, because i find ways to apply it to my REAL LIFE. If they are teachers who are collaborating, growing, and learning with me then I'd like them to know that although I'm very open and grateful to suggestions, I'll almost always give my students what they need rather than what a group of teachers and administrators THINK my students need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What every teacher should know about me is that I am primarily a visual and kinesthetic learner. I am a hard-worker that strives to integrate my learning from other courses and reading materials into a variety of courses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every teacher should know about me:

    -I'm definitely a visual learner
    -I like group discussions, but prefer solo work
    -I think learning should be fun, unless of course you're going to med school :)
    -I love hearing different and alternative thoughts, opinions, theories, lifestyles, etc.
    -My favorite thing about working with students/children is how (mostly) funny they are. laughter=happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what every teacher should know about me is that I would like to collaborate with them.. But still I have my own ideas that I might stick to them if I believed that they are necessary..
    And for some teachers I might have friendship with them while others I might stick to the peer work relationship

    ReplyDelete
  8. What every teacher should know about me is that I have struggled with critical thinking. I feel that I am so used to being told what to do, how to do it and I know how to produce what is expected of me. It is ironic, because we want our students to do differently. I admit its been difficult to reformat my thinking. I want every teacher to know that I am a hard worker, that I hate to produce mediocre work. I also want teachers to know that I enjoy learning new things, challenging my thinking and pushing me out of my comfort bubble. On top of everything else, I want teachers to know that they may have other teachers in their classrooms and to be sensitive to the lack of time we have (because it never ends). :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Things every teacher should know about me:

    I love creating something unique that combines media in new ways
    I think creative ideas are more important to the success and impact of projects than ordinary ones.
    Like it or not, I am driven by deadlines.
    Constanty reprioritizing drudgery in relation to creative work.
    I do my best work while under pressure
    I do my least best when given forever to complete something.

    ReplyDelete