Monday, September 10, 2012

Welcome to EDUC 578

My daughter Zoe learning on her iPhone
I can't believe a year has passed since I last taught this course.  Last year was my first year of teaching both this course and for USD.  I am very excited to get the opportunity to work with SOLES students again around this topic.  I am fascinated with learning in general and specifically, how technology can assist the learning of anyone.  I am definitely much more of a techie than an expert on learning theory, so we will take a hands-on and self-reflective approach to this topic.

My goal for this course is to consider all aspects of learning, both personally, and for your students.  I see technology as a medium of instruction as well as a driving force behind most school reform.  I am less concerned about specific technology tools than I am about how to utilize technology to enhance learning and instruction.  The tools that will be in the classroom in ten or even five years have probably not even been invented yet. This is why it is more important to get a broader picture of the concept of technology integration in schools without limiting ourselves to current technology.

To this point, you will be creating a personal learning network (PLN) and utilizing a variety of web-based tools to investigate your learning.  I don't think I have ever taught the same course twice.  For me, each class I teach is uniquely composed of the learners in the class, so by necessity, each class has its own personality and expertise.  I will do my best to get to know each of you as learners and construct our experience this semester accordingly.

I look forward to learning with you.

peace,
jeffery heil

1 comment:

  1. Potentially, I believe Tweetdeck will be the tool I turn to more and more. Prior to being introduced to Tweetdeck, I used an rss feed aggregator as a part of Google Gadgets on my desktop, but now that's gone away and the gadget began generating error codes...so making the switch to Tweetdeck should be a good move.

    I believe I will start spending more time on making my blog more relevant to my research. I think the potential give and take should others find it interesting would be well worth the time spent.

    ReplyDelete